Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Lighting a Candle in Fatima

I'm sure you're all familiar with lighting a votive candle in a church for someone . . . well, Fatima takes it up a notch or two!

In many Catholic churches around the world, people drop a few coins into a box, light a small votive candle, and then pray for a particular prayer intention. 


At Fatima, they do it BIG!  No votive candles in sight! For a couple of Euros, visitors can buy candles as big as the Paschal candle lit for Easter. I saw people carrying armfuls of candles to the "pyre," which is located behind the Chapel of the Apparitions. It burns brightly with thick black smoke rising above the square and the smell of burning bees wax filling the air. Because the fire is so hot, I've read that pilgrims often don’t bother to light their candles but instead just add them to the flames. It doesn't take long for them to burn down.


Personally, I purchased 7 good-sized candles, lit each of them (each for a special intention), and then placed them in candle holders in the flaming pyre. I stood back and prayed for a while. It was quite an experience!

These photos will give you an idea of what I'm talking about . . .




All sizes of candles for sale


MY candles . . .


MY candles burning away


Busy place . . .


Very hot fire






5 comments:

  1. To send up prayers for the souls of loved ones

    ReplyDelete
  2. A number of years ago I was diagnosed with a high-grade bladder cancer. My doctored recommended surgery which was scheduled for 10 days later. In the meantime, I told my wife that I wanted to go to Fatima to pray for Mary’s intersession. Our trip was amazing. The solace that came over me while kneeling in prayer is something I will never forget. Upon returning home I went through three operations to remove the cancer. My wife and I returned to Fatima a year later, fully recovered and giving thanks to Mary and Her Son. That was 18 years ago and every day I continue to give thanks to Mary through the rosary. She will intercede for you if you only ask.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please pray for my elderly and sick father. Pray so that he may he understand and reconnect with God. Pray for me too so that I may improve and take care of weight issues. Pray for my job and health!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please pray for henry malara who is sick wit diabetic and dementia and dont want to get help give me a lot of problem and my family cant take this no more Please help me as soon as posible pray for him.

    ReplyDelete

Video - Pilgrims Walking to Fatima Shrine

Here we are walking to the Fatima shrine -- I think this was the day we arrived with little to no sleep . . . but we're all excited to v...